Saturday 6 November 2010

Camara Control Exercise

I have chosen Autumn as my theme for my final assignment and have been out in woodlands practising using my camara. I have been practising shutter speed and aperture controls and how they work in relation to each other.   I have uploaded a few images to show how I am progressing.

F 5.6   1/125   ISO 400


As you can see this image is over exposed and this will happen when too much light is let into the lens.  This can be rectified by reducing the size of the aperture using a higher F stop thus reducing the amount of light.  Also the shutter speed can control how much light is let into the lens.  By using a fast shutter speed this will  not allow much light into the lens as the shutter will open very quickly.  A slow shutter speed will let more light into the lens because the shutter will stay open for longer.


F 14   1/125    ISO 400

In the above image I have used a smaller aperture which has not let too much light into the lens so the image is no longer overexposed.  If I had shot the image using a higher shutter speed that would have given the image a better tonal range creating a better sharper image.


F 13   1/125   ISO 400

This shows an image taken that is too dark and not enough light has been let into the lens.  Using a larger aperture or slower shutter speed would allow more light into the lens.  Also increasing the ISO would increase the light of the image.


F 11   1/125   ISO1250

A slightly larger aperture (Lower F Stop) and increasing the ISO has let more light into the lens on this image.  This image is one of my favorite photographs to date.  The focal point of the image is a circle of light just off centre.  The shadows coming towards you from the trees enhances the circle shape.  The circle of the image is set just to the left showing the rule of thirds.  The tonal range is very low key and could be thought of as under exposed but I like it.


Below are a couple of images which were shot in daylight with blue sky and sunlight to show how a really fast shutter speed can reduce the amount of light into the lens and create a dark almost painting like photograph.


F 5.6   1/2500   ISO 640


F 5.6   1/2500   ISO 640

Evaluation

The exercise went quite well as I am now starting to understand the aperture and shutter control settings more and how they work in relation to the light.  I am also starting to know what settings I should be using to capture a particular shot.  These images were shot using my Nikon D90 and kit lens.

No comments:

Post a Comment